Railway Paths

April 2016 Torksey Viaduct Official Opening

PhotoGrid_1461410998133 (2)

The newly restored Torksey viaduct was officially opened this April by Sir William McAlpine, Chair of the Railway Heritage Trust.

The ceremony marked the opening of a new pedestrian route across the historic Grade II listed structure, linking the villages of Torksey and Cottam for the first time since the closure of the Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway in 1959. Funding from the Railway Heritage Trust has enabled Railway Paths and sister charity Sustrans to develop this pedestrian route across the River Trent. Further work to develop and extend this route is being undertaken by RPL and Sustrans.

Over 200 people attended the opening event on the 22nd April, which included a ribbon cutting ceremony to mark the occasion and the unveiling of a plague to commemorate the heritage of the viaduct, followed by a led walk along the new route. The following video by Forgotten Relics captures the celebrations and history of Torksey viaduct…

Photographs of the viaduct and opening event…

781028 01 Torksey

Photo © RPL: Rail services across Torksey viaduct ceased in 1959; this photo shows a special excursion at Torksey on 28th October 1978.

160422 Torksey 007

Photo © RPL: The opening event included a led walk across Torksey viaduct on the new pedestrian route.

160422 Torksey 003

Photo © RPL: Sir William McAlpine, Chair of the Railway Heritage Trust, opened the restored viaduct.

160422 Torksey 010

Photo © RPL: The commemorative plague highlights the history of Torksey viaduct.

160422 Torksey 008

Photo © RPL: From left – Andy Savage and Sir William McAlpine of the Railway Heritage Trust, Matthew Easter, England Director Sustrans and Huw Davies, CEO Railway Paths Ltd.

 

Related links

For more information about the works involved in restoring Torksey viaduct:

http://www.sustrans.org.uk/news/historic-torksey-viaduct-opens-link-communities

Contact Us

estateoffice@railwaypaths.org.uk

160422 Torksey 007